Archive | June 2012

Week 1 & 2

Back from holidays I worked on including the newly created widgets in the user interface.

Before all video or audio layers only had one label. Now we want one widget for every audio/video layer. Therefore I had to change the internal logic quite a bit.

Afterwards I noticed that hard coded layer heights didn’t work well with the new widgets. The more layers you had the more you saw that they weren’t properly aligned. My solution for this problem is that I adjust the layer height to the height of the layer control widget. This also gives us basic folding support as well.

The current UI now looks like this:

PiTiVi screenshot with new layer control widgets.

You can find my branch on github. I’m also happy to hear your comments, hints or whatever you want to say 🙂

Week -1

Because I didn’t have time to work on my project after the official start because of exams and vacation I started working the weeks before.

The first part consisted of designing and implementing new control widgets for layers with more functionality. After some inital atteps that didn’t look good, nekohayo (btw my super helpful mentor) jumped in and helped me to review and improve the designs. We ended with these mockups in Glade:

Then I started implementing them using pygtk. Unfortunately we still have to use Gtk+ 2 so we don’t get the cool new style. Furthermore I didn’t yet find a way to make a container widget selectable, so I added the ‘Delete’ button to delete layers. However this should be gone in the final version.

The next step was to use these new widgets in the PiTiVi interface. I’ll cover this in the next post!